Genetic Methylation Testing
What is it Holistic Methylation/ Genetic Methylation Testing?
We will be evaluating your individual methylation patterns through genetic (DNA) testing and applied kinesiology (muscle testing) to determine where these genetic glitches are and recommend supplementation to achieve a “genetic bypass” of your particular DNA mutations.
What is methylation? Why should you care?
Without getting too technical, methylation is the addition of a single carbon and three hydrogen atoms (called a methyl group) to another molecule.
Methylation is a vital metabolic process that happens in every cell and every organ of our body. Life would not exist without it. These normal reactions occur billions of times every second!
Think of billions of little on/off switches inside your body that control everything such as:
- Your stress (fight-or-fight) response
- Balancing your brain chemistry
- How your body makes energy from food/ Energy production
- Detoxification of hormones, chemicals and heavy metals
- Inflammation response and Immune response to fight infections and viruses
- Genetic expression (turning on and off genes) and repair of DNA
- Production and recycling of glutathione — the body’s master antioxidant
Methylation is responsible for all of the above-mentioned biochemical processes. These biochemical steps are regulated by proteins called enzymes which are made by our genes. The Human Genome Project has mapped the majority of our genes and determined many of their functions. We can be born with or inherit a faulty gene or mutation. Sometimes we acquire mutations from cell division or exposure to the environment like UV radiation, stress or an infection. A mutation may cause an enzyme to work improperly or at a decreased capacity causing problems with our metabolism, healing, and health. We can evaluate these genetic variants/ defects in the methylation pathway and balance the defects/enzyme with specific nutrients to reverse symptoms and restore normal function to the body.
Impaired methylation can lead to:
- Allergic reactions
- Autoimmune conditions
- Bipolar disorder
- Bowel dysfunction
- Cancer CFS/FM (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia)
- Chronic bacterial infections
- Digestive issues
- Down’s Syndrome
- EMF sensitivity
- Heart disease
- Hormonal imbalances
- Language and cognition impairment
- Leaky gut
- Metal toxicity
- Mitochondrial disease
- Neural tube defects
- Rett’s syndrome
- Sleep issues (can’t fall or stay asleep)
- Thyroid problems